Translate

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Two gentlemen in Verona

02-10-12
Verona's bridge over the Adige
Well, by the time Patrick and I had visited Padava (Padua) and Verona, I was about 'towned' out. I can see why Verona is another UNESCO World Heritage site, it is just that I really do prefer  mountains.

Verona is the place where the fictitious Romeo and Juliet was set. And the Veronese have made sure that they have cashed in on this. In the centre of the tourist quarter there is even a balcony in Guilietta's Casa that attracts many tourists. Alright, I know there is an equally fictitious set of writings that has generated many thousands of buildings, crosses and other contraptions throughout the world. 


At least, Emily, Charlotte, Anne and Bronwell actually lived in Haworth with its Brontë burger bar.
In the Casa is a statue of Juliet and there was a constant stream of (wannabe Jimmy Savile) men in their 50s and 60s having their photos taken fondling the breasts of the statue and being applauded by their wives. I understand that she is meant to be 13 years old - see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliet


Patrick was due to fly back to England in the morning so we parted company and I set off for Lake Garda passing the Romeo and Guillietta campsite on the way. By time I got there I felt it was too late for Monte Baldo's main top, Cima di Valdritta and the top was in cloud (although, in retrospect I realised that there would have been time and as you will see, the cloud cleared later). To while away the rest of the afternoon I decided to have a quick look at the summit of Monte Altissimo di Nago which is the the most northerly summit of Monte Baldo which forms the east bank of Lake Garda. It wasn't until afterwards I realised that, at 2079m with a prominence of P653, it is a Major.
Bocca del Greer
Rifugio Altissimo "Damiani Chiesa"
From Bocca del Greer I walked past the Rifugio Graziani (1617m) on a well engineered track that traverses up the hillside all the way to the Rifugio Altissimo "Damiani Chiesa" (2059m). At the back of the rifugio, the top is marked by an ugly metal contraption.
To the immediate north there is much evidence that during WW1 the hilltop formed part of the front line between Italy and the Austrians. There are trenches, dugouts, what were probably gun emplacements and a chapel.
On the way down the track the clouds on the main ridge of Monte Baldo cleared and I was able to get a view of the next day's goal.
Monte Altissimo di Nago summit
Part of the WW1 military legacy








Monte Baldo main ridge from the north

No comments:

Post a Comment