Translate

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Down the Swedish coast and across the Baltic

Gamla Stan island/holm
National Museum art gallery

Stockholm - or is it Stockport?

Street scene in Gamla Stan
03/06-08-12

And then there was Stockholm with A – and a few days of me being a tourist and a chance for us to see Bjork (and Buffy Sainte-Marie, anyone remember her?) at the Skeppsholmen festival. 
Bjork was great – cannot say I recognised everything that she played. Pity we missed Patti Smith and  Antony and the Johnsons on another day of the festival. 

A  joyous Gay Pride carnival also added to the Stockholm atmosphere.






























Giraffe crane

Gay pride






07-08-12

The previous evening there was a quick dash to Karlskrona*  to catch the Stena Vision ferry on a ten hour journey across the Baltic to Gdynia in Poland. Bet there were no other Britons on board.
Spent the night in a Tesco’s car park – somewhere unpronounceable in Poland.

*In keeping with my apparent but not deliberate obsession with World Heritage Sites I attempted to visit the Karlskrona Naval Yards which are similarly endowed with the same status and nearly caused an international incident by entering the gates and being stopped by two guards. They asked me to wait and I thought they were asking their superiors for permission for me to have a look around. Turns out they were asking permission to let me go!

No comments:

Post a Comment