Translate

Monday 27 August 2012

Bilberry knoll

No idea what elephants have got do with the hill
She offered to take my picture - I think she got a bit confused by my camera.



14-08-12

Although relatively unknown in comparison to mountain ranges such as the Alps, Dolomites, Pyrenees, the Carpathian mountains form an arc roughly 1,500 km long across central and eastern Europe making them the second-longest mountain range in Europe (after the Scandinavian mountains). The western Carpathians form the boundary between Poland and the republics of Czech and Slovakia.



I have now travelled further east along that border to a small village on the Czech side called Stribrnice. From there I followed a path that relentlessly winds its way up to yet another summit that lies on the Polish/Czech border called Snieznik (1138m/P657) and, hence, yet another 'snow mountain'.

Snieznik
 When I set out on this journey from England as I drove to Harwich from my home I bagged a handful of very minor hills on the way. One of these was a sub-Hump called Bilberry Knoll. The most memorable thing about the hill was there was not a bilberry/wimberry/blaeberry/whortleberry/vaccinium myrtillus to be seen. Snieznik may have been without snow, but it certainly knows how to produce bilberries (Cz: Boruvka; Pl: Borowka). There are hectares of them and there were several enterprising people picking the berries by the bucket load.
Boruvka Knoll

Czech sign on the summit
Polish cairn on the summit






No comments:

Post a Comment